Applying to Macro
The application for Macromolecular Science & Engineering is administered by the Rackham Graduate School. Applications are accepted for students interested in pursuing a PhD or a Master’s. Macro faculty conduct a holistic review of all applications and make recommendations for admission which are then finalized by Rackham. During the application process you will receive communications from both Rackham and Macro.
All application materials should be submitted online by the application deadline via the Rackham Graduate School application.
For full consideration PhD applications should be submitted by December 15th, Master’s applications by January 15th. Following these deadlines decisions will be made on a rolling basis.
Required Application Materials
- Rackham Online Application Form
- Statement of Purpose – This is a statement about your academic and research background, your career goals, and how Macro will help you meet your career and educational objectives.
- Personal Statement – This is a statement that details the personal journey, including cultural, geographic, financial, educational or other opportunities or challenges, that has motivated you to pursue a degree from Macro.
- Three Letters of Recommendation – These letters should be submitted electronically via the Rackham application.
- GRE Scores – The University of Michigan’s ETS institutional code is 1839.
- Transcripts – Transcripts should be submitted from all institutions attended.
- Applicants will scan and upload transcripts as part of the online application process. These transcripts should display the institutional seal and signature of the Registrar or Recorder of Records.
- Applicants are also required to submit an official transcript by mail or as an e-transcript to Rackham. These transcripts must be received in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution and should be mailed to Rackham.
- Transcripts should be mailed directly to Rackham at the following address.
- Rackham Graduate School
Attn: Transcripts/UMID# (if known) or Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
915 E. Washington Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070
Requirements for International Students
- Tests of English Proficiency – Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency as part of their application. A score of 84 or higher is required for students who take the internet-based TOEFL. Students are exempt from submitting a TOEFL score if they completed their entire undergraduate or graduate education at an institution where all classes are taught in English. See the Rackham Graduate School for more details on this requirement and other acceptable tests and the required scores.
- Early September – PhD and Master’s application becomes available
- December 15th – PhD application deadline
- January 15th – Master’s application deadline
- January & February – Admission offers made for PhD students
- February & March – Admission offers made for Master’s students
- March – Visit weekends for admitted domestic PhD students
- March & April – Final admission offers made
- April 15th – Decision deadline for accepted students
Interesting in knowing more about the program, application, or just need some clarification? Contact Macro Program Coordinator Adam Mael (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.